Spring is near so we thought we’d create some Cactus’s to bring on the warmer weather! We moulded these Cautus’s out of modeling clay. With modeling clay, children have the opportunity to be creative and experiment with forms, shapes and textures. Under 5s talks about the many different benefits when playing with clay:
1. Manipulating clay helps children develop hand and eye co-ordination as they pound, pat and push the clay into shapes and objects.
2. Clay also helps children develop the small muscles in their fingers and hands, known as fine motor skills, as they pinch, squeeze and prod the clay, adding detail to the shape or object.
3. Through this manipulation, children can express their thoughts and ideas as they mould the clay to take on the form of their imagination.
4. Children can experiment with literacy and numeracy concepts as they use clay to create letter, number and shape formations.
5. Facilitating children to create their own name, their age, street address, or the names of people in their family makes learning meaningful.
6. Clay can also be used to visually represent a child’s culture as it is moulded to represent meaningful symbols and patterns.
7. You can support children with clay play by providing an unhurried, spacious environment so that time can be spent developing and revisiting their work.
8. Regular access to clay provides children with opportunities to build on their knowledge, verbalize their thoughts and ideas, and add detail to their work.
9. Skills developed include imagination, perseverance, problem solving, teamwork, social interaction, and self- regulation.
At Avron we have an assortment of Modeling Clay for any of your craft needs.